Monday, March 3, 2014

Debt Free in...

I told everyone who reads this blog - and I am surprised how many people there are - that I would update when we figured things out. Well... we haven't figured everything out but we are working on it.

1. We are not moving... housing market may be hot for people to sell houses but I am not sure about townhouses. Plus, if we did sell this place, would we be able to get into something comparable for less mortgage plus condo fees. I don't think so... at least not what we have researched.

2. Van... wow, we made a big boo boo but a necessary boo boo 14 months ago when we bought our van. For those of you who do not know our Sante Fe saga... let me sum it up to say it was a lemon. In less than 3 years we had the front struts done, the transmission changed, the engine blew - which threw ball bearings through the starter and one of the pistons... I was NOT taking my family into that thing again.
Now this was a challenge for us as we still owed a bit after we traded it in for our van. We chose to add that cost to the price of our van which increased our payment. I also realized that we are still paying the Sante Fe off and have not started paying off the van... OY! Needless to say, we cannot trade it in yet. I am very OK with that as I was not ready to give up my van... vanity rules on that one... Sorry, I'm human.

3.The TFSA's paperwork has been filled out and is being processed as we speak. Once that comes in, we pay off the MasterCard and put the rest on the Personal Loan and the debt snowball begins.

4. Our wonderful friends and bookkeepers, Michael and Tania Spears (www.spearsbookkeeping.ca) have agreed to be our financial accountability partners and will loan us Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. Excited and scared on that one!

Some other things have changed... I have picked up a part-time job on the side as an executive assistant. It will be challenging to balance things but I will make it work.

More importantly, my hubby was offered a permanent full-time job with Canadian North Airlines as a technical writer starting March 24... yay for benefits and vacation and perks! :) He has also been picking up contracts on the side too so that is fantastic.

As of right now, we will be debt free by August 2017. When that changes, we will let you know!

As I am writing this, the hymn "It is Well with my Soul" by Selah is playing right now. This is one of my favorite hymns and the truth... It is well with my soul!


No comments:

Post a Comment